Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Blog Assignment # 3

In this assignment I will be documenting my resource usage. Don't judge me I'm just a human.

1. food and drink: vegetables and meat need trucks which consist of metal and utilize oil, and on top of that my food has plastic wrapping and bad commercials using electricity advertise me these products.
2.housing: my apartment is mostly wood supported by steel beams.
3.transportation: I drive a bus, yes a bus. My bus has 8 wheels , that means a lot of rubber. Since I have a lot of company we are slowly saving the earth through mass carpool but it still has terrible mileage.
4. My clothing consist of 100% cotton. Since I deserve the best I buy the best quality. Cotton needs a decent amount of water if I'm correct.
5.school supplies, this is an emotional one because i think about all the school textbooks that I have had to buy. All that paper, there's a lonely tree out there somewhere.











5.For personal care products, I'll admit deodorant and and hair gel isn't made of the most world friendly chemicals, usually we just watch it go down the sink, but it all ends up somewhere.
6.Leisure activities: well I use the internet, and every now and then I like to jam to Barry Manilow. My internet uses up electricity. I'm pretty sure we aren't using hamster labor, instead we burn coal. I also make music on my computer, still pretty much electricity being used. And I ride my bike named "stella". She's made of metal and most likely the shipping from china involved petroleum.





So basically the Item I use the most involves electricity.
Coal is dug up and sent on trains and boats.  
The coal is burned to heat water to make steam.
Inside the generator, the steam spins a big fan called a turbine.
 The spinning turbine rotates a big magnet around a piece of wire & that motion creates a magnetic field that electrifies the wire.  
The electric current flows through the wire and is pushed out through high-voltage transformers.
I can't imagine a world in which electricity won't be utilized in some manner.


So to reflect on this assignment I have learned that we still use coal mines to create electricity. I thought that was outdated. I can still hear the screams of trapped children. I can go outside more and commune with my fellow humans more to conserve energy.





No comments:

Post a Comment